GKN Aerospace has developed unique capabilities for the design, development, fabrication and assembly of lightweight engine frame structures in partnership with all the major OEMs. Fan/compressor, combustor and turbine structures are produced using our large multi-axis machining technology and specialised procesess such as automated large electron beam welding and electro-chemical machining.
New design and development concepts use optimised combinations of complex castings, forgings and sheet metals in one or more materials. Welding and heat treatment process modelling along with advanced process control and automation makes this a robust and competitive route to large structural components.
- GKN Aerospace’s application of its own design practice and lean manufacturing principles to these complex assemblies has demonstrated our abiility to provide the highest quality product while achieving aggressive targets set by our customers.
- Weight reducing technologies significantly contribute to the reduction of engine emissions.
- Our experience in dealing with specialist supply chains and managing these proucts reduces risk for our customers.
Aircraft deployed on
- Airbus A300/310/330 - General Electric CF6-80 compressor rear frame (CRF); Pratt & Whitney PW4000 turbine exhaust case (TEC)
- Airbus A320 - IAE V2500 TEC
- Airbus A320neo - Pratt & Whitney PW1000G intermediate casing (IMC) & TEC; PW1100G TEC
- Airbus A330 - Rolls-Royce Trent 700 tail bearing housing, high pressure/intermediate pressure structure and intermediate compressor case (ICC)
- Airbus A340 - Rolls-Royce Trent 500 ICC
- Airbus A350 XWB - Rolls-Royce Trent XWB ICC
- Airbus A380 - Engine Alliance GP7200 TEC; Rolls-Royce Trent 900 ICC
- Boeing 747/777/767 & MD11 - Pratt & Whitney PW4000 TEC
- Boeing 747/767 & MD11 - General Electric CF6-80 CRF
- Boeing 757-800/787 - General Electric GEnx turbine rear frame (TRF)
- Boeing 757 & C-17 - Pratt & Whitney PW2000 TEC, IMC & diffuser case
- Boeing 777-200LR/300ER - General Electric GE90-115B fan hub frame
- Boeing 787 Dreamliner - Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 high pressure/intermediate pressure structure
- Boeing MD80 - Pratt & Whitney JT8D-200 IMC
- Boeing MD90 - IAE V2500 TEC
- Boeing MD95 - Rolls-Royce BR715 IMC
- Bombardier CSeries - Pratt & Whitney PW1000G IMC & TEC
- Irkut MS-21 - Pratt & Whitney PW1000G IMC & TEC
- Lockheed Martin F-16 - Pratt & Whitney F100 IMC
- Lockheed Martin F-35 JSF - Pratt & Whitney F135 IMC
- Mitsubishi MRJ - Pratt & Whitney PW1000G IMC & TEC
- Saab Gripen A/B/C/D - Volvo RM12 IMC
- Industrial gas turbines - General Electric LM6000 CRF and LMS100 CRF & TRF
- Industrial gas turbine - Pratt & Whitney FT8 IMC